Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped into pieces)
- I large butternut squash (peeled and chopped into pieces)
- 1 carrot (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic, (peeled & finely chopped)
- 1 onion, (peeled and chopped)
- 2 teaspoons of five spice powder
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- Glug of cream (optional)
- Salt & pepper to season
Heat a little oil or butter in a large saucepan, and add the onion, garlic and carrot. Allow these to soften slightly, and then add the sweet potato pieces and the butternut squash pieces, and cook gently (do not brown). Add the five spice, and the vegetable or chicken stock, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the vegetable are soft. Blitz to a creamy consistency with a hand blender, add a swirl of cream if using and season well with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with chopped parsley or coriander, and serve with Zest! Chilli Bread or Pesto Bread – a real crowd pleaser for cold days!